April 24th 2023
DISG Activity Report to 2022 and Initiatives for 2023 vol. 1
Purpose and Achievements of DISG Activities
Beginning with this article, we will be publishing a series of three articles to reintroduce DISG's activities to you.
・DISG Activity Report and Future Initiatives Contents of 3 issues
- Part 1 Purpose and Achievements of DISG Activities
- Part 2 ASEAN-Japan Economic Co-Creation Vision and DISG Activity Policy
- Part 3 Introduction of Ongoing ASEAN-Japan Related Projects
In this first edition, we will once again inform ASEAN businesspersons of the purpose of DISG activities, and furthermore, we will provide content that will help them understand DISG and ASEAN-Japan related projects by reviewing past achievements in which DISG has been involved.
DISG is committed to disseminating content and organizing events that are useful for business leaders active in ASEAN-Japan. Subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on social networking sites so you don't miss any of the latest news!
Table of Contents
- Purpose of DISG Visibility/ Inclusion/ Continuity
- Main Activities of DISG Webinars/ Social Problem Solving in Cooperation with Corporations/ Networking Events for Young Business Leaders, etc.
- DISG Activity Achievements
- People who can make use of DISG information
Purpose of DISG Visibility/ Inclusion/ Continuity
DISG stands for "Dialogue for Innovative and Sustainable Growth".
DISG was established for Accelerate “Innovative and Sustainable Growth” across the region to achieve simultaneously strengthening industrial competitiveness and addressing various socio-economic challenges
DISG has three objectives
- ■ Visibility : to showcase the latest ASEAN-Japan cooperative projects in some iconic field
- ■ Inclusion : to facilitate discussion among experts from private, academic and public sectors so as to identify potential areas
- ■ Continuity : to provide various and continuous occasions to discuss ASEAN-JAPAN cooperation
Main activities of DISG
Webinars / Solving social issues in collaboration with companies / Networking events for young business leaders, etc.
DISG‘S MAIN ACTIVITIES
In accordance with the objectives, DISG conducts the following activities
1. Discussions between Japanese and ASEAN experts, the private sector, academia, and public institutions through webinars and events. Explore potential areas for future Japan-ASEAN collaboration.
2. We collaborate with large Japanese and ASEAN companies and startups to provide funding and know-how to help solve identified social issues.
3. We also support the creation of networking and business matching opportunities for young business leaders in Japan and ASEAN.
DISG Activity Achievements
DISG has held a number of webinar-style events to deepen the discussion.
The thematic set-up for the webinars includes the following
1. Growth of "Industry“
→Upgrading Supply Chain
・Medium- to long-term strategy and outlook for building a robust supply chain
2. "Sustainable" growth
・Creating a resilient energy structure and achieving a balance between environmental constraints and economic growth
3. "Inclusive" growth
→Medical/health care, agriculture/food
・Improved access to healthcare, increased rural productivity
4. Use of "digital technology"
→Promote digital innovation
・Digital connectivity, open innovation collaboration that contributes to solving social issues, promotion of smart cities, smart manufacturing, etc.
The content of past webinars can be found at the following link.
In the past, we have held webinars in the areas of food and agriculture, medicine and health, energy, and environment and renewable energy, while also facilitating business matching between Japanese and ASEAN companies.
・ASEAN-Japan Business Week
Event Co-sponsorship of ASEAN-Japan Business Week
DISG co-hosted the ASEAN-Japan Business Week.
This event co-organized by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), Japan Business Federation (JBF, Keidanren), Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), ASEAN Promotion Centre on Trade, Investment and Tourism (ASEAN-Japan Centre), ASEAN Secretariat (ASEC), ASEAN Business Advisory Council (ASEAN-BAC), ASEAN-JAPAN Business Council (AJBC), Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), AEM-METI Economic and Industrial Cooperation Committee (AMEICC) Secretariat, aiming to deepen understanding of the latest trends around ASEAN business and its potential with more than 2,500 registrations and more than 10,000 video views.
Over the course of five days, the following topics were discussed at the event in 2022.
□ Day 1
- Survey Report on awareness of ASEAN business community 2022: potential for ASEAN-Japan Co-creation
- ISEAS-RIETI Joint Webinar "ASEAN Perspectives on Current Geopolitics and Japan"
□ Day 2
- Future direction of Japanese businesses amidst deepening SEA-China economic ties
- Corporate Transformation of Japanese Companies
- Key Factors for Developing New Businesses in South East Asia
- Creating Innovation in South East Asia
□ Day 3
- Success of Skilled ASEAN Professionals in Japanese companies
- Efforts to Accelerate Energy Transitions in ASEAN
- Expansion of Japan's Smart cities into the ASEAN region
□ Day 4
- Current status of JP investment, and the latest business situation
- Latest business situation and environment in ASEAN
□ Day 5
- The situation of Japanese companies entering the ASEAN market and the latest business trend in ASEAN
- Finding business opportunity for SMEs in ASEAN region
- Z generation and ASEAN Business
People who can make use of DISG information
We believe that DISG information will be beneficial to companies, entrepreneurs, investors, government officials, and professionals who are engaged in business activities in Japan and the ASEAN region. We hope you will make use of DISG's information to revitalize ASEAN-Japan business.
As we have seen above, the DISG has been deepening discussions between Japanese and ASEAN experts, the private sector, academia, and public institutions, and disseminating the potential for future Japan-ASEAN collaboration through webinars and events. In our next issue, we will share with you our future plans related to the ASEAN-Japan Economic Co-Creation Vision announced by Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) in January 2023.
The DISG official page contains information on upcoming events and an archive of past webinars, so be sure to subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on SNS to keep up with the latest news as we continue to disseminate content and host events useful to business leaders working in ASEAN!
Jul 7th 2022
Japanese FDI Recovers Rapidly especially in ASEAN region: Post Covid-19 Resuming Business Trips to ASEAN; JETRO Promotes Attractive Investment Packages of ASEAN Member States (AMS)
Apr 24th 2023
DISG Activity Report to 2022 and Initiatives for 2023 vol. 2: ASEAN-Japan Economic Co-Creation Vision and DISG Activity Policy